2.02.2010

Who needs a groundhog when you have Krohn Conservatory?

I will admit there is a small part of me that wishes I had a yard, even a tiny one. Sunday I went to the Krohn Conservatory in Eden Park (Cincinnati) with my mother, an avid and gifted gardener. The days have been a bit gray and cold as of late and we were both in need of the promise that spring is on its way.


The talented horticulturalists at Krohn have put together another wonderful arrangement of plants. After walking through the Spring Flower exhibit and the other rooms within the conservatory, the desire to dig, plan and plant was consuming.

The Krohn’s display room introduces viewers to plant products of the Americas. Plants and/or products are on display from the tropical rain forest, grasslands, conifer forests, deserts and deciduous forests. Visiting Krohn is always a treat. The 1933 Art Deco structure is home to more than 3,500 plant species.
The conservatory has three main display rooms in addition to the exhibit room which is home to many shows including the spring flower show, the butterfly show as well as the ever popular Christmas display. The desert, palm and fern houses and bonsai and orchid rooms complete the conservatory.

The Garden Life will take many visits to the Krohn Conservatory- revealing to you its botanical wonders one post at a time.


As for my itch to dig in some dirt, ummm soil, my patio pots and my plots at Ault Park are patiently awaiting the start of the gardening season.
My visit to Krohn has me convinced that spring is on its way, groundhog shadow or no shadow.

1 comment:

  1. The show is continuously changing as the forced tulips, hyacinths, jonquils, daffodils, serviceberry, redbuds, and dogwoods sequence through their blooms. Frequent visitors to the show will be rewarded with new flowers and fragrances week to week. It's well worth the price of admission (free).

    Jenny, your blog entry about Krohn is wonderful. I appreciate the manner in which you captured the experience of the conservatory in words and photographs. It makes me want to go visit...

    Mark House
    Assistant Manager, Krohn Conservatory
    (hehe)

    ReplyDelete