1.28.2011

Chalk it up to a Moment of Weakness

I am sure there are orchid aficionados shaking their heads and wondering what I was thinking buying an orchid at the grocery store. Here’s what happened.     I have been writing about greenhouses and how nice it would be to have such a wonderful place as an escape from the cold winter for my Landless Gardener post on Horticulture magazine’s web site. Then, I was reviewing garden blogs for my new, totally fun, role as Garden Blog editor for the aforementioned magazine and I kept finding posts about greenhouses. The pictures in the blogs were so alluring.

In my reality I sat in a cubicle all day, not even close to a window. The highway was slow for no reason and I had to make a stop for coffee before I could head home.

I was ripe for picking when I walked into Fresh Market. There they were- orchids and flowering bulbs next to the coffee display. It was a beautiful sight. If I couldn’t have a greenhouse, my own yard or an office with a window, I could have an orchid.

I would love to know what type of orchid this is. It is identified as a Fresh Market orchid on it tag.

6 comments:

  1. It looks like a type of Phaeleonopsis orchid ,medium light for these beauties ( unlike Dendrobiums which love sunshine )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like a Phal and it is a unique color and pattern. I bring home orchids from the grocery store too. I always feel sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orchid rescuer, you. :) It's lovely and I'm sure it will be much happier with you than with the grocery store florescent lights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is always a moment of weakness for me in Fresh Market! The flowers and plants are always a temptation. Fortunately, I have to drive an hour and a half to get to the closest Fresh Market ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave up houseplants many years ago in favor of running my nursery and trying to stay ahead of my two acres of display gardens (emphasis on trying). Even when I grew houseplants, orchids were not in my repertoire. However, this Christmas, someone gave me an orchid, and I am really enjoying it. The flowers that were on it when it arrived are just as fresh and beautiful a month later. We got our eighth snow storm yesterday, and all I can do is stare at my orchid and take deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just a best guess, but it sure looks like http://www.owensorchids.com/Photo%20Gallery%20Folder/Phal%20and%20Dtps%20Photo%20Gallery/slides/Dtps.%20I-Hsin%20Golden%20Prince%20'Orchidheights'%20Pic%202.html

    ReplyDelete