1.29.2011

The Ever Expanding Garden Library

We recently revamped the entrance room to the
condo and now we have a library. Happy day!
As I was going through the books, deciding what goes where, I came across so many great titles that I wanted to share with you. Sometimes, I will share what I am reading as part of a design project or research. Or it may be a book that fits my mood, caught my attention or I think is a book of value for any gardener or garden historian.

I hope I share a few titles that are new to you or perhaps deserve a second look. Can we ever have too many garden books? I think not!

The first book I want to add to the Garden Library is a book I mentioned in a previous blog I created, The Historic Midwest Garden. I had three blogs, one too many. So, this season, I will include trips to historic gardens, notes on historic garden design, designers and plants.   I digress.      Introducing
Restoring American Gardens – An Encyclopedia of Heirloom Ornamental Plants 1640-1940. Denise Wiles Adams

Contents include:
Historic American Garden Design
Reading the Historic Landscape
Gardens and Architecture: Design Styles for Historic American Building Types
Gardens and Geography: Ornamental Garden Traditions from Maine to Oregon
Encyclopedia of Heirloom Ornamental Plants including heirloom trees, ornamental shrubs, vines, herbaceous plants and rose to name a few.

5 comments:

  1. In addition to providing valuable information, reading vintage garden books can also lead to some surprises. I was re-reading A Bouquet of Garden Writing the other night, and I discovered two fascinating facts. Famous British horticulturalist William Robinson advocated leaving leaves in garden beds as I did in a recent post. Even more famous Gertrude Jekyll agrees with me (actually I agree with her) that perennials should not be divided while still in the ground by chopping them with a spade. I was just about to say that in a post I am writing on dividing hellebores and now I can quote her. There is nothing new under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old vintage gardening books. I collect them and have a few shelves just for them.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reading suggestion. I think I'm going to have to start a separate library for the garden books. They're starting to take over the shelves, but that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great read! I love good garden books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to what you have in store for the coming year. I enjoy the historical aspect of garden design.

    ReplyDelete