7.15.2011

A Plant to Love ~ Rodgersia

Oh how I love this plant!! I first saw this bold, beautiful shade plant at the Chicago Botanical Gardens. When I adopted a shade garden at my local park, this was one of the first plants I installed. I wish I knew which variety I have growing in my garden. I left all the tags in the garden so park visitor's could see what they were and now, all the tags are gone.

They need room to spread, they prefer rich, moist soil, even bog areas and shade. Like many shade plants, the do have interesting flowers, but it is their foliage that will have you wanting one, or two or three!!


Left- Rodgersia in my shade garden. Below- early in the spring, the Rodgersia is starting to add some height and peak up behind the Autumn Fern, another must have plant for a shade garden.
 Rodgersia pinnata 'Fireworks'
Pink flowers, 10'' leaves. Zone: 5-8 Height: 3-5'
Rodgersia aesculifolia
Creamy flowers, Zone: 5-9 Height: 48''
Rodgersia pinnata 'Elegans'
Zone: 4-7 Height: 34''
Rodgersia podophylla 'Rotlaub'


Very colorful variety. The glossy foliage is a distinctive coppery-red to deep bronze and holds its color better in the summer than other varieties. Leaves turn to a wonderful deep red-bronze in late summer coupled with 3 to 5 foot plumes of creamy-white flowers. Require consistent moisture. Zone: 5-9 Height: 32''

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I had some shade! I do have moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shade gardening, and with this heat wave, 100+ temps, the shade garden is very welcoming!

    ReplyDelete