4.13.2012

My Garden Resolutions

It may seem late in the year for resolutions but since these are for the garden I figure I am right on schedule. All-in-all I have to say I am pretty happy with my garden life. I have a few trips planned this year that will take me to new garden destinations, I am tending new areas at the park- new gardens are always a fun challenge, I have new responsibilities at the park, I work for Horticulture, and I have a new spiffy camera to capture those wonderful gardens in bloom. But there is still room for a little improvement, thus my resolutions.
1) Record the name and location of new plants as soon as they are planted! Those garden tags tend to ‘walk-off’ over night I want to record the plants and post about how they are behaving in the garden.

2) Take more pictures! I tend to garden until the last rays of sun are in the sky. By the time I pack up the tools and load up the car, I am pulling out of the park as the stars come out. I vow to wrap things up a bit earlier so I can take pictures in the beautiful evening light.

3) Ask more questions. When I meet gardeners I hope to ask more questions about their garden and plants.



4) Read more. This is a pretty sad resolution when you think about it. I do read a lot, but I also watch too many re-runs of The Big Bang Theory (well, it is pretty darn funny!). And, I tend to go-go-go until I am dog tired. Wrapping things up a bit earlier will leave more time at night for garden books and magazines.

5) Be Calm, Be Quiet, Be Still in the Garden. Still working on this one. Take more time to sit, be quiet and just be in the garden.

A modest list, but one that will help me have an even more enjoyable garden life!

9 comments:

  1. That is a good list and one we all should do more of. My daughter and I are planning a trip to Virginia this summer and I am anxious to visit new gardens and conservatories to compare to Ohio's. My camera will be smoking. LOL! I would love to set on one of those benches in the photo and soak in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lona, A trip to Virginia sounds wonderful! Be sure to stop and enjoy the moments while you are there, then take lots of pictures to share! ~ Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice modest list. Personally, I should resolve to read more, especially about what's good for what plants specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it is too late to make resolutions for the garden season, but maybe that is because I have yet to make any resolutions of my own. LOL! There are a few vague ideas rolling around in my head like, "Don't take on any new projects until all the old ones are complete and repairs are made to the landscape cloth in the circle garden." It remains to be seen just how long this resolve lasts! I definitely want to keep better track of plant names and asking more questions is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good ideas and resolutions for the gardener! Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Be Calm, Be Quiet, Be Still in the Garden.” – Yes. The garden is one place where you can experience calmness and serenity. Along with the soft breeze, the fresh scent, and the beautiful scenery, it does feel great to spend some time in a garden and just meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I should do this resolution thing for this year. No one has really been working on our garden since October last year, I think. And I think I might follow some resolutions from yours, particularly that one about listing plant locations to maintain a sense of direction in my gardening and also because I intend to plant more herbs this year. I think they’d make for a nice, quiet nook for some reading, and I plan to do more hands-on cooking this year. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. “I want to record the plants and post about how they are behaving in the garden.”--- This is really important when it comes to efficient gardening. You should know the condition of your plants. Are they doing well or not? By that, you can determine what you need to do to make sure that these plants will grow.

    ReplyDelete