10.14.2012

My City, My Garden

If you have been reading my blog or following my posts on Facebook you know that I garden at a park.  Ault Park has been my garden, my sanctuary and my creative outlet for several years now. Once I gardened a large yard. I worked on it tirelessly; at first out of love and all consuming interest in gardening and later as an escape. But as we all know you cannot escape, you cannot hide, from your troubles. No matter how much you shop, run, date too much or in my case spend countless hours in the garden, your troubles are sill there, patiently waiting your return.

I will share more of my story over the next several months. For now I will simply say a divorce and all that swirls around such an event led to me becoming a landless gardener- a lady who gardens at the park. This is not a bad thing mind you. In fact, the divorce was full of blessings; including finding myself after many long years. This is a happy story, with a few dark periods, but any journey that leads you to your true self and to where you are meant to be is a very happy story. I have love; much love and am happily engaged to the man I want to spend my life with. And I garden!

I garden in the park- something I never could have imagined as I dug ponds, built new gardens and collected plants like crazed lady five years ago. Instead of feeling sorry for myself and forgoing what I loved I simply looked around the corner, I peeked behind the curtain, and saw that a garden life is much more than the space between your house and the neighbor's. A garden life can be as grand as you want it to be and for me this means gardening any place that will let me. Ault Park is my base garden. There I can design and plant a few gardens just how I wish. It is as close to a home garden as I can find. The rest of my gardens, those I work now and those that I am still to uncover, I am simply the volunteer labor. These gardens, which I will introduce you to, are designed, maintained and cared for by others and I am simply lucky enough to have them say yes to my request to volunteer my time.

I hope you stop by this blog from time to time as I explore all the garden opportunities Cincinnati has to offer. Join me as I uncover, My City, My Garden.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This garden is so nice and it was really cared perfectly. Thumbs up guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts! Can't wait to see all the different gardens you tend, I've seen many photos of the Ault Park Garden and it's lovely. So great that you found a garden at the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The gardens are pretty much done for the year, but I will be taking you to other areas of the park where the gardens have great winter interest. Jenny

      Delete