12.06.2012

A Shocking Discovery about Annual Succulents!

Are you ready for this? Are you sitting down? It has been less than two months but I can safely say that annual succulents do not like dark, cool condos as much as bright, sunny, warm gardens in a park.

I know, I am as bewildered and dumbfounded as you are. I mean, it is a lovely condo with lots of comfy seats, garden books and views of a courtyard garden with fountain, yet the succulents are showing signs of dissatisfaction.

I knew my home was not the ideal place to over-winter succulents, but I simply could not leave them all at the park to languish and die with the first hard frost. I potted a few of the smaller plants and placed then in the kitchen window which gets the most sun and in the family room window. Neither is an ideal site.

The plants are already twisting and stretching in hopes of reaching the light. I am debating if I should keep them pinched back or just let them go and see what happens. I wish I would have pulled two of the same plant from the rock garden at the park so that I could have pinched one and not the other to see, come spring, which fared better. Perhaps that will be an experiment for next year.

4 comments:

  1. When windows are limited, I have used a 'gro-lite' in a desk lamp put close by - or directed at the plants. Just that much additional light seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few with lamps as their main light source. Anything to bring in some green over the winter, yes?

      cheers!

      Delete
  2. Artificial indoor lighting might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plants that are on the radiator have a nice bulb and the wax bagonia is blooming!!! The plants on the kitchen window ledge are out of luck :( LOL

      Delete